The Objective Eye

"Every movement that seeks to enslave a country, every dictatorship or potential dictatorship, needs some minority group as a scapegoat which it can blame for the nation's troubles and use as a justification of its own demand for dictatorial powers. In Soviet Russia, the scapegoat was the bourgeoisie; in Nazi Germany, it was the Jewish people; in America, it is the businessmen."
- Ayn Rand, "America's Persecuted Minority: Big Business" (1961)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, United States

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Happy Industrial Revolution Day!

Now Playing: Dove c'e Musica, Eros Ramazzotti's great, jazzier followup to "Tutte Storie"

Indeed - 'hope you all had a chance to raise a toast and give a quiet "thank you" to every smokestack, freeway, automobile, cellphone, skyscraper, and - oyeah - computer that the retro-Medievalists were out protesting, hypocritically, this weekend. Well, presumably - I didn't watch the news today. 'Matter of fact, I've tuned out on news all weekend, so as to focus on more enjoyable aspects of life.

I had intended on performing my usual one-man I.R. Day demonstration, which consists of taking my usual umpty-mile run with my now-threadbare "Laissez Faire" t-shirt on prominent display - but it was (ahem!) too cold outside.

What...?

Also fitting is a rerun of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" that's playing on the tube at the moment (so I'm cutting this short...) Endlessly vilified by leftwing culture pundits as an iconic expression of '80s enthusiasm for reason, science, technology, civilization and unabashed humanism - which of course it is, in spades - TNG increasingly amazes me with what it managed to convey philosophically. Hats off to the late Mr. Roddenberry and all involved in TNG's production, and may someone in Hollywood one day match that level of excellence.

Enough already! Stay tuned!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home